General — TransplantLyfe

General

Gallbladder removal after transplant

TServoldTransplant Patient
September 26, 2023 in General

Has anyone had their gallbladder removed after transplant? Is there a correlation? I've had a few symptoms that make my care team think gallbladder but nothing indicates surgery, yet. I was just wondering if that's common or if it's just luck of the draw? Both of my parents have had their removed so, based on genetics there is a good chance I suppose.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi! I don’t think there is a correlation

September 26, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had my gallbladder removed during my transplant surgery. I think I was just special, and with the nature of my surgery they needed to remove the gallbladder for better access. I believe its common for living liver donors to have their gallbladder removed though

September 26, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi, my TP center takes the gallbladder automatically w/LTP I think I am grateful they did one less thing to have to worry about.

September 26, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I was having an ultrasound last week and the lady asked if I had a gallbadder, because she couldn't locate it. No one had told me that they took it with my old liver. I guess it is the usual thing to remove the old one, and put the transplant without the one that was attached to it. I wish I would have known because I felt really stupid. But the tests were good anyway.

October 6, 2023

Yay so glad your test were good. They did the same thing to me 😊was told by my coordinator it’s routine.

October 6, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

So interesting!! Seems like with Liver gallbladder removal is always done. With Kidney is it not. I had my appendix removed with my pancreas transplant since appendicitis presents like pancreatitis...

October 6, 2023

Wow it’s is TP is so very interesting I have learned so much.💚

October 6, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

We should write a book about the things that we have found out after TP. So that those that following might be better prepared for what is ahead of them after receiving the "Gift of Life."

October 6, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I was told mine would be removed and some hospitals also remove appendix during liver transplant. I had my gallbladder removed many years before my transplant. This is an amazing group of people with so much to offer others.

October 6, 2023