General — TransplantLyfe

General

Tea

coopscadoopTransplant Patient
Updated October 17, 2023 in General

Sometimes I just want a good cuppa. Curious what you drink and if the teas deemed "bad" for transplant patients are actually causing any issues?

The "bad" teas to avoid (according to UPenn Medical):

All Herbal Tea, Green Tea, Matcha, Rooibos, Bergamot (Earl Grey, Paris), Chamomile, Valerian, Hawthorn, Ginger, Lemongrass

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I drink tea all the time! I live right by Celestial Seasoning and while its not the best tea, it is a local favorite. I drink a cup of Sleepy Time (chamomile, spearmint and lemongrass) with honey just about every evening. I also drink iced green tea & lemon pretty regularly. I love a good London Fog latte. I was advised not to drink any echinacea tea, or "cold booster" teas, and to be on the lookout for grapefruit in flavored teas. I drink a Bhakti Chai tea latte every morning. I love ginger and if I am cold at work (which is just about always) I will drink a ginger and lemon decaf tea. I was not allowed to drink Green Tea when I was on blood thinners due to the Vitamin K.

October 16, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I drink all of these 😂 I’m not a huge tea drinker, I prefer coffee, but I do like tea occasionally and there isn’t any specific kind I stay away from.

i was told to stay away from certain herbs that may be in tea, like St. John’s wort, but not to avoid particular kinds of tea

October 16, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I love tea, have never been told to avoid tea; actually encouraged when feeling an illness come on, but also have had to do my own research about herbal medicine because of how some do not mix well with western medicine. However, I am a huge fan of mullein, peppermint, chamomile, matcha, early grey.

October 17, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Jeanmarie u r so informative, thanks 😊🌈

October 17, 2023