Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Post op liver transplant

LSWOther
October 21, 2023 in Liver

My sister-in-law had a liver transplant about 3 weeks ago. Physically she is improving daily, however she does not speak, walk, & is incontinent. She is starting to obey commands. She has started smiling & waving. She just does not walk, talk, & is incontinent. Anyone know anyone that this has happen to or know a reason why she is like this. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• ShakeyjakeTransplant Patient

I just signed up a a little ago and was just checkeing other post and saw yours. I hope she has improved, was there any thing that the Dr's said was wrong. I for one had no problems at all, just weak and sore for a while but I was alway coherent and talking.

February 19, 2024
  • TheMacTransplant Patient

Hi, I am terribly sorry to hear about this. I understand these types of struggles well. Everyone’s transplant experience has a different recovery experience. Some quickly return to work, driving, etc. There are those that take longer to recover. In my experience, the time of recovery is in direct proportion to the length of illness pre transplant. I was critically ill for almost 3 years. I died twice and almost died 3 times. I was not allowed out of bed for 6 months. After transplant in March, I could not walk, bath, brush my teeth, etc. I had to go rehab for 8 weeks. My recovery has been very slow. I believe it will come when I am ready to get there. Yet I know of amazing rock stars that are back at work 3 months post. I cannot weigh in as I am not a medical professional, but I can offer this: ask questions, be informed, don’t stop until you get the answers you are comfortable with and never give up.

Best to your cousin and family.

March 22, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

LSW First of all I’m happy to hear your sister/in-law received her new liver. I think recovery has a lot to do with how ill the person was before transplant and their age. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and get answers your family needs to understand why these things are happening. Also give her lots of support and love , it takes time and recovery is definitely different for all of us. I was up walking 2 days post surgery and let tell you it wasn’t easy but I had a team of cheerleaders waiting on me at the end of the hall so that helped. I hope she is doing better everyday!!

March 24, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi LSW, it could be many as I am not a Dr either but some people have reactions to be putting to sleep for so long effects from anesthesia.

As Deb said age has a-lot to do with it and how active she was bf TP.

I am thrilled she has been given this second chance at life. It does take time but keep pushing the Drs for answers.

We are here to support you😊🌻💚

March 24, 2024