General — TransplantLyfe

General

Blood draws

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 27, 2023 in General

Why don’t they ever get easier? I still shake when the flebotomist starts her process and I don’t dare to look when she pokes my vein and the blood starts flowing into the tubes…

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I feel like for me its because they always have such a hard time finding a vein. So my brain has learned to associate going for labs with them not finding a vein and me being poked multiple times. My unconscious mind has stored this memory somewhere, and as with any emotion stored in the body I can't think my way past it. Knowing this has allowed me to be more gentle with myself, to respond to that part of me like I would a child who doesn't want to get labs. I do have little mental tricks that I use that I don't know if they actually work but its enough to distract my brain.

October 30, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

My key tricks are 1) overhydrate ahead of time to get bulging veins 2) relax through meditation when they tie up the arm and just focus on a meadow, a forest or something else equally calming…

October 31, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm so lucky!! I'm an easy stick. One of the phlebotamists gives me 2 blood draw tubes to clench, while the blue turnicate is tied. I usually ask them to loosen the turnicate, once the flow is good. Keeping it tied for too long (in my case) has been known to affect the numbers/levels like Potassium, Createnanine etc (blood hydrolysises sometimes).

I do believing, drinking plenty of water before the blood draw helps with the flow.

October 31, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I am one of the lucky ones also easy stick, I able to tell them right where to stick on either arm. I feel bad for you all that r difficult to get your labs.

October 31, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I too am very blessed being an easy stick. The only time they have trouble is when I’ve had to go without liquids and then it’s hard. So yes, extra hydration is key. I have one arm that is the best but one phlebotomist warned me of scar tissue build up and recommended I change arms once in a while.

October 31, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I always watch and tell them which veins will work for the amount of blood they need. Haha. I make it sound like I am only making a suggestion. But it really isn't. I have the most difficult veins. I still have a fistula on my left arm. So no blood draws from that arm. So I am very protective of my blood draw/infusion arm.

November 6, 2023
  • Kidneyguy81Transplant Patient

I'm the same as @Jeanmarie I watch and choose the vein.

November 8, 2023