General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Muscle wasting

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 27, 2023 in General

Hi,

after transplant I lost 15 pounds pretty rapidly / some of that clearly fluids but the rest muscle mass - I have since boot it back but I see pictures from that time and I cringe. Anyone else with this experience ?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I lost SO MUCH muscle mass after transplant. Even just the surgery itself, being long hours under anesthesia. After surgery I don't know why, I expected to just be able to bounce back and walk the halls with ease. Pain in the incision sure, but I did not expect to be so winded, and weak. Even a year later I feel like I don't have the muscle mass back to what I had before transplant. The lifting restrictions after surgery really messed with my head and my desire to get back into a regular workout resulting in even more muscle loss. I am now back to my regular workout, and yoga/stretching but it took me a long time. I too cringe.

November 2, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Totally relate I lost 65 lbs during liver disease, it has taken me 3years to get back on my feet I have had a lot of ups downs tho I am still struggling, some days I feel I can conquer the world other days the world has conquered me. It is definitely on going .trying to stayπŸ’ͺ

November 2, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I lost a lot of weight before and after surgery and a lot of it was muscle. With my surgery taking place February 2020, right at the beginning of Covid, I didn’t go anywhere or do much at all. I was terrified of getting sick!! I wanted to do some form of PT but that was out. Now 3 years post op and I’ve gained a lot of weight and still no muscles. It’s very disheartening to see my body like it is but I’m not giving up. I’m a work in progress!!

November 3, 2023

You go Deb I am cheering you on. I have been able to keep my weight off but I will tell you it’s not easy. I completely changed my eating habits, I am an avid walker, I work out with bands and 4 pound weights the biggest thing is I am in a routine now with my exercise. I think to since I was dx. recently w/ckd I am more focused. The only meds I take thus far is my immunosuppressants “which is enough going in my body” and some vitamins. I have always been against pills my whole life. I am more holistic.😊πŸ’ͺπŸ’š

November 3, 2023

Having a rescue pup has helped me too, she is always ready for a walk.πŸΆπŸΎπŸ’•πŸ˜Š

November 3, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

@melsamm Thank you for your support. I too have a dog our son brought home to me while I was sick and definitely helps me. She’s very active and loves being outside. I think I will feel better as my meds decrease, if they do!! I have labs tomorrow. Thank you again, it’s so nice to have a group of people to chat with that understands. πŸ’š

November 3, 2023

Good luck w/labs, yes I am with you on decreasing our meds, I cannot wait for the day I am on lower doses, it will be one year thanksgiving when i had my rejection, another celebration πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸ₯³ always nice to chat w/u😊

November 3, 2023