Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

20 Years Today

Bagman12256Transplant Patient
November 20, 2023 in Kidney

I was first diagnosed with Iga Nephropathy at the age of 30. Seventeen years later on November 20, 2003 I had my transplant from my sister. It has been quite a ride trying to live a "normal" life and not letting the new kidney hold me back. Now the hardest part is the mental game of trying to decide if a medical condition is due to the transplant/meds or just growing older.

Obviously I have no idea what the future holds but I am grateful for the past 20 years and the doctors that have guided me along.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

I was diagnosed with Iga Nephropathy with my transplanted kidney after 10 years. The kidney eventually failed after 13 years from 2007-2020) Iga is such an interesting disease. Congratulations on 20 years.

November 20, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

WOW! Congratulations on 20 years. Thats amazing. I am only 6 months post transplant and this gives me hope.

November 20, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

@Bagman12256 20 years is so awesome! I am at 18 years. It is definitely a balancing act trying to figure out if something is an issue because of long-term use of transplant meds or if it's the original disease-causing issues. My original disease is Lupus. So that is also a life-long problem. I usually just bring everything up to each doctor I see just in case they can think of a solution.

November 21, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Incredible @Bagman12256. Congratulations on 20 years!

November 21, 2023
  • Semret1Transplant Patient

Congrats! Wow it’s very encouraging to me! My name is Semret. I did kidney transplant 2010, it’s almost 14 years. Life is pretty good after transplant so far. I have the only concern the last Calle of years my hemoglobin levels drop and my flood pressure level increases. My transplant team they try to manage it, but they can’t sill it don’t workout by different med. I hear from YouTube about conQ10 suggested for transplant patients, do you have any idea abut this supplement!

December 10, 2023
  • Bagman12256Transplant Patient

Semret1 i have used CoQ10 for muscle pain due to my statins. It is supposed to be relatively safe. I’m not sure what else it’s used for.

December 10, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Bagman12256 - many 🎊 Congratulations 🎊 on being blessed with the Gift of Life for 20+ years!! 🙏 Simply, Awesome! 👍 Carry on, Warrior!

Indeed, Organ Donation + Transplantation = #Miracles 💯 💙♻️💚

December 12, 2023
  • Slm75Transplant Patient

First, Congratulations to everyone! I can relate, getting older you question each ache and pain. I'm alittle over 37 yrs out and the kidney is doing very well. But, about 18 yrs out I became drug induced diabetic from prednisone. I had thyroid cancer 10 yrs ago, had it removed and doing good, just another pill away. Now, I'm starting Chemo in 3 weeks for breast cancer and am scared to death. I've been assured that the chemo will be adjusted and won't harm the kidney. I'm going to georgetown University, the Lombardi Cancer Center in Washington, DC. Anyone else had chemo?

January 25, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I think this is a great discussion all on its own! Maybe create a new topic so this comment doesn't get lost? Our cancerlyfe community might also have some input on chemo that could be helpful!

January 25, 2024