General — TransplantLyfe

General

Has anyone worked with transplant patients who have intellectual and developmental diasabilities?

Berriosa1234Transplant Patient
November 20, 2023 in General

Has anyone ever worked with patients who have an intellectual disability? What was that interaction like? Any questions that came from it?

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• fern22Transplant Patient

Currently working with a patient who has TBI ... A lot of communication between me and the caregiver.

April 30, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I was a special education aid for 20 years and I did have one little girl who had a kidney transplant but of course her parents took such great care of her. I honestly can’t imagine she me if my students going through any major surgeries. Bless you for taking care of your patient.

May 1, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Also because this conversation has kicked back up again, I'm curious about neurodivergence. I think just in general we're becoming more aware of neurodiversity and different people learn things differently. I'm curious how this is impacting healthcare. So far I personally haven't seen any strides to include neurodivergent individuals in the conversation and take that into consideration. It's a lot of talking around the individual versus talking to them, or a lot of expecting the individual to mask neurodivergent symptoms in a way that doesn't actually help anyone heal or recover.

I was having a conversation with a neurodivergent friend about medical care and how that interaction goes, and the way forcing a neurodivergent person to symptom mask is literally affecting their nervous system and their ability to heal, recover and receive adequate care.

May 1, 2024
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Thats good that there is support there. thanks for sharing. I am curious because i used to work with a gentleman who was older and was on dialysis and I also wondered what he understood about that process, i was never able to find out. I wonder if there are any docs who have worked with folks with TBI/ID/DD population of folks and what challenges they face and how they overcome them

May 1, 2024