General — TransplantLyfe

General

Trouble getting disability

ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient
November 28, 2023 in General

I'm almost 8 months post transplant and they are still asking for information to recieve Disability benefits. According SSD Blue Book all transplant patients should automatically get 12 months! Am I missing something?

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• darth_jamesTransplant Patient

What state do you live in? Did you receive disability benefits while you were on dialysis? Depending on circumstances you might be eligible for backpay as an ESRD patient.

There should be a post transplant coordinator at your transplant clinic. I would start there and post when you hear something.

November 28, 2023

*I might add that you should get SSDI 36 months after transplant unless another disability exists.

November 28, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

Thank you @darth_james I am a liver recipient from Tennessee and have not received any benefits. I was told that it was automatic but I keep getting the run-a-round. I finally talked with a guy on my case for the 1st time yeasterday. He said that a doctorn was reviewing it but that they would need more information. I ask what they needed since I had a transplant in April.

I would appreciate if anyone has information that might help. My sister worked at a law office for a few years after retiring and had them help prepare the paperwork in mid-May.

November 28, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I filed on line and was granted disability immediately due to liver failure. I’m now almost 3 years post transplant and still receiving it. I’m in Virginia so I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not. Don’t give up keep after them. Best of luck!!!

November 28, 2023

In your original post I assumed you were referring to kidney transplantation. If you can have your sister work with your case pro-bono, that’s the route I would resort to. In the meantime contact your post transplant social worker(s) and if they cannot solve the problem, ask to speak with the financial advisor at your clinic. Sometimes there is a limit on retroactive reimbursement.

November 28, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I filed for disability for my liver transplant on line, I was dx with end stage liver disease w/ other complications in 2020 I heard from ss within 2weeks and was approved. COVID was rampant at that time so I am not sure if that was taken into consideration I also worked in the medical field . My TP team social worker provided all the information they needed.

I did speak w/a lawyer in the beginning and he was the one who suggested I file on line, he said that I would be approved and if not to contact him he said TP was automatically approved.

Stick w/it I feel u r getting the run around. Very frustrating I know.

November 28, 2023
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@Deb i myself went back to work in January 2024. I had my Liver Transplant in Oct 2023. I am now very nervous because I find it hard just getting through a day. Do you have any advice on how to handle applying for disability? Thanks for your time.

March 23, 2024

Hi KevR where do you live every state is different ? LTP is usually immediately approved, the key is you cannot be working, it takes about 3 months to process everything. I like Deb applied online.

i hope this helps

March 23, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@Melsamm Thanks for replying. I live in Pennsylvania. I am lucky enough now to be working but I noticee it’s really hard just getting through a day. I did learn that if you’re working you can not receive SSDI. I’m just worried about the future. I’m thinking if the time comes where I can’t work that I should be able to get SSDI benefits. Hopefully. Take care @Melsamm

March 23, 2024

Yes, that is correct I was working in the medical field and was told by my team to apply ASAP, I did have to be not working for 3 months bf my benefits kicked in.

I hope each day you will see progress in your TP, you will have good/bad days. This group will be so beneficial to you, they all r here for you.

I had my LTP 10/26/20.

March 23, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

@KevR I cannot imagine going back to work as fast as you did. That’s great!! I was a paraprofessional working with special needs children so due to the fact my immunity was compromised I can’t return to work. I was in the school system for 20 years. I was 59 when I got sick so I didn’t bounce back as quickly as others. Here in Virginia we have to refile every 5 years for disability so I’m hoping to receive it again. I hope you continue to do well and be able to work all you can. We’ve got this, we’re all in this together.

March 24, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@Deb n @Melsamm, thank you for replies. Glad to know you. This grp is definitely a light in my life right now.

March 24, 2024

KevR My pleasure, we all need each other.

March 24, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

@KevR Welcome to the transplant family, nice to meet you. We’re always here for each other to help and support.

March 25, 2024