General — TransplantLyfe

General

Symptoms during Flu/COVID/Norovirus/Rejection

coopscadoopTransplant Patient
November 29, 2023 in General

'Tis the season for all the bugs! As immunosuppressed transplant patients we have so much at risk and many of the symptoms overlap, even with <wince> organ rejection. With all that is going around, how do you distinguish which are symptoms that need more urgent attention? When you hightail it to the emergency room versus scheduling something with an outpatient doctor or clinic?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have gone through a few different rejection episodes over 18 years. Each was a different type. 2 of them I had zero symptoms. They were caught early because of labs and biopsies. For the others, I had body aches headaches, and nausea. Which could be a virus. However, I wasn't coughing, sneezing, or blowing my nose.

As a transplant patient, I wouldn't feel bad about going to the ER if you think you should. Even if it turns out to be a virus. A virus could be just as dangerous as rejection. I have been severely dehydrated and needed fluids from the ER numerous times. If you have standing orders you can always just get a set of labs if you are not feeling well just to check things out anyway. Anything that seems abnormal I also call my transplant team. They can advise what the best thing to do too.

December 1, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Jeanmarie, I caught my rejection to bc of having labs done monthly, I had no symptoms either. My TP team has a standing orders to with the lab if I am not feeling well I get labs and call my coordinator to be looking for them. I to will go to the ER if need be. I just hope we all stay healthy.

December 1, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I also have standing orders at the lab, as well as an emergency protocol at the ER if I’m feeling off and just want another set of eyes on me. I also have a direct line to my transplant coordinator so if anything is off, I call him and get triaged over the phone.

December 1, 2023