Donor — TransplantLyfe

Donor

Green Shirt Day

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated April 3, 2024 in Donor

April 7 is Green Shirt Day, which originated here in Canada, and I wanted to share this incredible day, and organization, with you in case you haven't heard of it yet!

Green Shirt Day was started in honour of the Humboldt bus crash and the Logan Boulet effect and is for organ donation registration and awareness.

On April 6, a bus of hockey players from Humboldt, Saskatchewan crashed, killing 16 of its 29 passengers. On April 7, the organs of some of the members of this team were donated, saving a number of lives and starting the biggest influx of organ donation sign ups across Canada.

On April 7 of every year, we wear green in honour of Logan, the members of the Humboldt Broncos who lost their lives, and organ donors and recipients everywhere.

I'll be wearing my green shirt on the 7th, and I'd love it if you would join me. Take a photo in your green, drop it here and let's mark this special day together.

If you want to learn more about green shirt day, and the Logan Boulet effect, you can go to greenshirtday.ca

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I was not aware of any of these details and I found this fascinating. It was such a tragedy and how impactful Logan Boulet was.

"Blood donations increased by as much as 25% in some cities in Western Canada after the crash.[85] After the news of Logan Boulet's organ donation, 3,071 Albertans registered as organ donors in a single weekend, compared to the province's weekly average of 425.[86] It was announced later by The Kidney Foundation of Canada that in the weeks following the crash, almost 150,000 Canadians registered as organ and tissue donation due to Boulet." (Wikipedia)

I look forward to wearing my Green Shirt and seeing all of yours!

April 3, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am definitely wearing green on 4/7! Thank you for educating us @AliEm14 and what a wonderful way to turn a tragedy into something impactful

April 4, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Thank you for sharing this. I will be wearing my green shirt on the 7th. I will for sure post it here!

April 5, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Who is wearing their green today?!?

I'm resharing my own green shirt day pics, and more information about green shirt day and how you can get involved, on the lyfebulb instagram

April 7, 2024
  • Marc212Transplant Patient

⬆️ It's the only article of clothing that I own that's green. Fortunately, it was indeed a shirt. File was too large to post, so I just switched the profile pic. Honouring Logan and his fellow Broncos teammates. 🕯️

April 7, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I ran into the same issue - I love that you just changed your profile pic!

April 7, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Here I am wearing my green shirt! 

💗

April 7, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@AliEm14, I never heard this story. So glad to hear such a beautiful story.

April 11, 2024