Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Post-transplant

SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient
May 23, 2021 in Kidney

I like to try and at least have an idea of things before they happen. So what is life like during the recovery process post-transplant? Like I wanna know what to expect and how I may feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• bhameisterTransplant Patient

I am about a year post liver transplant now. I had little information going into transplant and what it was going to be like. I was in ICU for less than a day and then transferred back up to the transplant floor. They had me up and walking a few steps in the ICU (like only 10 hours after surgery), but nothing to strenuous. Once I got to the transplant floor, they got right into the recovery process. I first started walking a little bit, then learned how to walk up and down steps, and also had to learn how to get in/out of bed. PT and OT would work with me almost every day while I was in the hospital. I was on a weight lifting restriction (10 pounds) and also couldn't drive myself for four weeks (until the surgeon cleared me). Some days were harder than others, but you also have to know when your body needs rest. After spending about a week in the hospital, I went home with my parents and continued my recovery process there. I only took pain medications for only two days after surgery and haven't needed them since.

You will feel tired after transplant since your body just went though a long surgery, but sleep is one of the best things to help your body to recover. Honestly, everyone is different post transplant. Some people are up and moving the day after, while others it may be three or four days. Just know that your transplant team and the nurses on the floor will help with the recovery process and prepare you for when you return home. There may be some "speed bumps" along the way, but what I told myself everyday is "Just take one day at a time!"

I hope your transplant and recovery goes well! 😊

May 24, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had a very difficult recovery (not at all like @bhameister) and I wish someone had prepped me for that possibility beforehand. I was prepared for a recovery where I was in the ICU for a day or two, up and moving around shortly after and my team had prepared me to spend 7-10 days in the hospital total.

Instead I ended up in the ICU on life support for 3 weeks due to complications during surgery and a post-op lung infection. It was hands down the worst experience of my life (they kept me sedated for most of it, but the sedation drugs gave me the worst hallucinations. My biggest fear was being awake while still on the vent, which ended up happening. I was awake, unable to move or talk and on the ventilator for almost a week). Once they moved me to the transplant floor, things followed a more predictable recovery plan. My first physiotherapy day was sitting in a chair for 20 minutes and that felt like the most intense workout of my life. Due to my time in the ICU and being on so much medication I had become addicted to the drugs, and so I also went through detox while on the transplant floor. I remained in a lot of pain with very little energy until month 3 I want to say. I've slowly gotten better since then but I definitely still have my moments and have no where near the energy or the body strength/stamina other people have, or that I expected to have at this point.

Not to scare you, I know my experience isn't the norm. But it just goes to show you every experience is unique and as much as you try to predict and learn about what your recovery will be like, everyone is different and our bodies respond differently

May 25, 2021
  • SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

Wow I am so sorry you went through all of that. And I appreciate hearing that as well. I feel like we shouldn't sugarcoat the experience as if everything will run smooth.

May 25, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@SigEpSinfonian98 exactly. If someone had told me that before surgery I might have freaked out but now looking back it would have been nice to know. I was reassured before hand I had the best medical team who would be with me every step of the way and they were. Now I wouldn’t change a thing but going through it was definitely a challenging experience

May 26, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

My transplant was 15 years ago. So things may have changed. Before transplantation people would say they felt so good they jumped right out of bed with so much energy. Sooooo... that is what I thought would happen. And I was very wrong. I was not prepared for a physical therapist to teach me how to roll out of bed because you cannot use your stomach muscles! I didn't know I would have to take tiny baby steps around the whole floor of the hospital for days. I was not prepared for how sore I was going to be. Looking back that is silly considering the surgery.

The other thing was my body getting used to all the meds! I felt like I was in a foggy haze for a month. I felt very medicated. Even the water I would take my meds with upset my stomach. It took my body quite some time to adjust.

But I am still here 15 years later. It was definitely worth all the hard work!

May 31, 2021