Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Kidney transplant donor

Jtannen1987Transplant Patient
August 31, 2021 in Kidney

Sorry I need to vent so one of my Facebook friends died because he couldn’t get a kidney donor in time to get saved. We have a shortage of donors which means more people are going die while on the list. That is very sad I myself have been waiting for almost 10 years and I have really tried to find a donor myself and the fact is while they are out there sometimes they are hard to find. I’m very upset that we don’t have a lot of donors out there willing to help people like me because we are dying because people seem unwilling to help save a life like mine. It’s heartbreaking when someone like me has been fighting this heartbreaking and life threatening health situation. Those living donors out there they have donated a kidney are heroes they saved someone’s life. We need more people to step up and help other people like me live longer lives. Dialysis does help us stay alive but getting a transplant is so much better and can give people like me a longer life. I myself am on dialysis every single night for 10 and a half hours a night. It’s not fun connecting to a machine that helps keep me alive. I know it can be a tough decision for people to make to help but it’s worth it. I personally don’t want to die I have many more years to live and I want to live longer. We need more donors. Sorry for this long post but I felt like I needed to put this. I am very disappointed at the lack of people wanting to donate a kidney. It’s heartbreaking one other thing a lot of people out there can donate but don’t even consider it. More people could have been saved if people could have helped. People lose their fights every day while waiting for a kidney donor. So many other people like me are waiting for a donor every day. You have no idea how many people are on the list right now. They are all waiting for a miracle like me. Some people wait years or sometimes they don’t get the miracle

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

We all wish organ donation was that easy. The reality is... It's NOT. There is a lot that goes into this decision which can make that choice improbable. For many the loss of time and wages may be too much. Some people have even lost their jobs simply for doing this and their company would not accommodate their needs for time off.

In some states even donors can lose their insurance and even us transplant patients will find it hard to find a insurance company that will take a transplant patient on as a client.

It's not an easy choice. Have you thought about seeing if the National Kidney Foundation is hosting their "Big Ask, Big Give" program near you? This full day seminar teaches you about the stats, how and WHERE to ask about donation and helps you start an action plan to go out and ask.

August 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I received a living donor transplant and ended up needing a second deceased donor transplant days later. The more I’ve been reading and researching this issue, talking to all sides, the more complex it is. It’s not easy. Even from a living donor standpoint. Even if it’s the best thing, or the right thing.

i understand your frustration though. I get like that when I was on the waiting list. My wait time was shorter than yours but I remember feeling like it would never come and I would die on the list. The system sucks and I don’t know what we do other than keep sharing our stories

August 31, 2021