General — TransplantLyfe

General

xeno transplants

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 19, 2021 in General

What do you think of xeno transplants? this means getting organs or cells from animals vs living human donor or cadaver human donor. With current science, eg CRISPR (gene editing), the dangerous retro viruses etc can be removed from animal cells. At least I would be open to it!!

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/xenotransplantation

Tagged:

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• Sharon44Transplant Patient

I'm totally open. I have a cadaver kidney, anonymous. Although I know nothing of the donor I am forever grateful and from time to time write anonymous letters of gratitude to the family through an organization in Ann Arbor. Based only on the fact that this kidney came from Detroit on a Saturday night, I have constructed a story of the donor in my mind. It helps me be grateful. I would be just about as grateful to a pig! 😊

October 19, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This reminds me of Grey's Anatomy: "Pig or cow? Pig or cow? Pig or cow?"

I often make jokes about maybe they just put a pig liver in me (I know they didn't but growing up on a farm it makes for a good laugh). I'm so amazed at how far science has come, and I would totally be behind this. The real question would be is do I feel more connected to a pig or a cow? (If you don't get the joke, on an episode of Grey's Anatomy a patient is recieving an animal heart valve and while there are risks to each valve her decision she is conflicted whether to take the 'pig or cow'. Hilarious conversation about an amazing medical innovation)

October 19, 2021
  • TupastOther

I am totally open to this or a artificial kidney. As many people that are waiting for a transplant of any kind. I would think there would be a little more emphasis on transplants. So, bring it on!

October 20, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I love this! I've talked about this with my transplant doctors because of the massive amount of antibodies I've developed with my current transplant and I don't respond to plasmapheresis. So this could potentially be my only option in the future. However I am very concerned with the ethical part of it.

October 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I watched The God Committee last night and was fascinated by their portrayal of xeno transplants, and to know this is actually being done. It definitely wasn’t in the stages we see currently existing but as a more story oriented person than a medical journal person this got me excited about the future of xeno transplants, even in this “fictional” portrayal

November 1, 2021
  • hazzlerTransplant Patient

I think this is a great idea. The number of lives that this could positively affect alone makes this research invaluable. I hope the program continues to yield positive results.

November 3, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

In our seminar this past week / who listened? Dr ratner said it would take decades….

November 21, 2021
  • TupastOther

Yes, I listened, and I think I was the one to send the question in to be asked. I totally understand it will take time, but, they need to start to accept something like this to help with the overflow of patients. Also what about the work being done on a artificial kidney? I hope in future seminars they will address these topics. Also, these seminars are very helpful and informative. Keep it up.

November 21, 2021
  • Piney1147Care Partner

I think this is a great idea.

November 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Over dinner with my sister, she brought up a very good point on this topic. If we begin breeding, raising and harvesting animals for their organs, what does that say about us as a species? From a medical standpoint in the face of organ shortages it makes sense, but she said it also feels like a risky path to total domination. Now it's pigs, but what next? what could the wrong people do with this power? It reminds me of a book (I think it was a movie too) about people that were born and kept for organ donation, and all the ethical problems that posed. Just an interesting thought as we pursue new scientific avenues

November 29, 2021
  • TupastOther

Interesting way to look at this. Right now pigs are raised primarily for food(for humans). So using the organs to sustain life is not much different. Just a thought.

December 6, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Tupast i agree. We were just having a discussion about where it could possibly go. I feel like this is true of all scientific innovations. It can be a slippery slope

December 7, 2021