Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Pancreas

12 years today

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
January 2, 2022 in Pancreas

Thank you Dr David Sutherland and team at Univ Minnesota for giving me a chance to live again. Thank you also to the family of the young woman who granted access to her organs giving many people a new chance of life. Today is the 12th anniversary of my pancreas transplant that allowed me to live freely without the need for insulin injections and glucose measurements. It allowed me to go to bed daily without worrying about “dead in bed”, and it puts a smile on my face each morning when I know I have another day of freedom from T1D. Diabetes was the cause of my kidney failure, almost blindness and autonomic dysfunction (led to pacemaker surgery) all not reversed now, but at least halted! I value this time highly and do not take it for granted. Let 2022 be a better year for all people with diabetes and let us not forget all family and friends who worry about us due to highs and lows in blood sugar!

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

Congratulations on 12 years

January 3, 2022
  • lescp3Care Partner

Cheers to 12 years...and to many more!!!! Much to celebrate.

January 4, 2022
  • Happy pancreas anniversary. I’m so glad you are here.

January 10, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you everyone!!

January 10, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

Awesome, congratulations.

January 11, 2022
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

Congratulations! Many more happy healthy years to you!

January 12, 2022
  • SecondChanceTransplant Patient

Hi! Congratulations! So good to see someone so far out yet so little time. I am a little over 3 months out and loving it,however I have had a wound infection since 3 weeks out. Infected again for the 3rd time now. I’m so frustrated. I can’t really enjoy my new pancreas. Has anyone here had any infective wound issues?

Robin

February 1, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Congraulations, Karin. You look terrific. I’m 14 years post pancreas alone transplant. You apparently had a kidney and probable pancreas transplant. You have had a lot going on and I’m sure you feel much better now.

March 20, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Hi Second Chance, Congrats on your pancreas transplant. I had 2 rejections of my pancreas within 2 years. The first one was at 3 months and I felt sickly and needed to be seen right away. The treatment I received as an inpatient really worked. The second one was at 2 years post transplant and I didn’t feel sick. My labs showed abnormalities and had a biopsy and was treated. I’m at 14 years and doing well. I do remember having sores in my mouth with pain so things do happen. Have your doctors referred you to an infectious disease doctor or someone similar? Are you overly immune suppressed? I hope your wound starts healing again. I’m sure you are uncomfortable.

March 20, 2022