General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

April is πŸ’™ National Donate Life Month πŸ’š

Sdey0522Expert
Transplant Patient
April 2, 2023 in General

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I’ve written to my donor family, but I am planning to again. This seems like a perfect time to create this opportunity for communication with them again. Thanks for the reminder about Donate Life Month

April 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I write my donor family every April. April is celebration of life picnic where we celebrate recipients and thank our donor families. πŸ’šπŸ’š as always we encourage everyone to register to be a organ donor.🌼🌸🌈🌻

April 3, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

April 7 is also Green Shirt Day! It's a day dedicated to raising awareness for organ donation and transplantation that started in Canada, and marks the Logan Boulet effect, who died in the Humboldt bus crash and through donating his organs saved 6 lives.

I have never attempted to reach out to my deceased donor family, nor do I want to. I am obviously very grateful for them and the decision they made, and I wish them all the best, but I don't feel the need to contact them or pursue that relationship. I think people need to know as much as we are grateful to our donors and donor families, it's ok to not reach out or connect with them.

April 3, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I will be wearing my green April 7thπŸ’š

Yes, it is a recipients choice if they choose to reach out to their donor families. I am not sure what I would have done, my donor family reached out to me first that is how i began to write them.

April 3, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Shelbycreates & @Melsamm - it's wonderful that you've tried to contact the Donor family. I tell recipients to keep on writing if they haven't heard back. I feel, there isn't really an 'ideal time' to write & it's always going to be emotional for all involved parties. I know of several Donor family members who want to know about the recipients who received their loved ones' Gift of Life.

For 20 years this has been the time to #honor and be #grateful to those who have been #blessed with the #giftoflife, received the gift of life through the #miracle of #transplantation , and to the #healthcare workers for their dedicated work for patients on their #transplantjourney.

From Donate Life America , the theme for 2023 Donate Life Month is:

🌟 Make a Splash for #OrganDonation 🌟  

#LivingDonorsRock #BeAHero #ShareYourSpare #savealife #BeADonor

#savelives by donating organs, eyes and tissues

April 3, 2023