Liver β€” TransplantLyfe

Liver

Liver transplant abdominal pain

SreeCare Partner
September 23, 2023 in Liver

My father underwent liver transplant, abdominal pain has started 2 weeks after the surgery. It's been 3 months now, he is still suffering from pain. All his test reports are fine and the doctors are unable to conclude the reason for pain. They are not much concerned since reports show nothing. We have also taken him to a different hospital and but no use. Not sure when he will be pain free. Did anyone see this kind of issue after liver transplant?

Tagged:

1 - 26 of 26 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had a liver transplant 3 years ago and endured a lot of abdominal pain, and still do. I think the biggest question would be what quadrant is the abdominal pain coming from? It’s great that the liver enzymes look good but that doesn’t mean it’s not nothing. Even just knowing what it is could provide you all some peace of mind. I’d definitely keep looking into it

September 25, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi I to had pain after my LTP surgery, for a little over 6 mths.they said mine was coming from my ribs b/c they pulled them apart so far. I am glad the liver is stable but I too would want some answers as to why he is still having pain

September 25, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Where is the pain?

September 26, 2023
  • SreeCare Partner

He had 'L' shaped incision for the surgery. There is raw pain towards left of his belly button, pain in lower abdomen. It's almost like complete around his belly button. Sometimes there is pain in centre of chest. He feels better when in massage from centre of chest to lower abdomen. He was loosing weight before the surgery. After surgery, 2weeks he was fine and when we thought he would recover, this pain started. Initially doctors thought it was due to constipation and they have cleared everything. He is passing motions normally yet no relief of pain. His weight also started to decrease again, he is very thin now. He went from 52kg to 49kg.

September 26, 2023

I am sure they checked for a hernia/adhesions but thought i would just mention it. So hate he is not feeling well.

September 26, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I second what @Melsamm said. This was a huge issue for me. My doctor also said that with liver transplant surgery, since they’re moving around your intestines so much to get better views for things and fit everything back together, it can cause a lot of digestive upset and can lead to other complications with scar tissue and healing. So maybe something to look into?

September 27, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I am at nearing 6 months post LT and I'm similar to several others on here. I have basically had a great recovery since my transplant in April. I have had great labs (with a couple of scary outliers) and have remained active throughout. I have had a wonderful wife as my caregiver along with support from family and friends,

However, I developed pain down my right side. This has continued and moves through the area below my scar. Ultrasounds show no internal problems. They say that it is probably from the cutting of the tissue. I understand that it takes time and I am trying to take it as slowly as they want me too. However, please don't tell then that I have been "through a major surgery." I know that; and if I forget, my body will let me know in a hurry.

Im sorry for rambling!! I have great labs, good color, too much of an appetite, don't drink and try to maintain a positive outlook. However, it is discouraging when you hurt and no one (including family) really understands.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for their support. We will get through this together. God Bless you and our donor's families.

October 3, 2023

Hi Coach, I really thinks it’s just a part of TP. I too can remember having right pain discomfort they told me the same thing u just have had major surgery your organs are settling down. I am almost 3yrs. out and I still have some twitches that come and go.

I am staying positive to enjoying the fall weather, I guess the old saying it takes time u r still in your early stages keep up the good work I am so impressed again w/your recoveryπŸŒˆπŸ’šπŸπŸŒ»

October 3, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I think you hit on something really important here. It sounds like a common thing we all kind of get told is that it's just surgical recovery, or just the way things are. Which may be true, but I know for me whenever I hear those words it sounds a little invalidating. I know I had major surgery, I realize they went in and man handled my organs and moved things around and that's bound to cause issues. I would expect some pain and discomfort from that. Usually when I'm complaining that I'm in pain, its because its at a critical level. I think doctors realizing this, and changing their approach in response to this, would be beneficial. Maybe it is recovery pain, maybe its not, but invalidating my pain isn't the right answer in building a harmonious doctor/patient relationship

October 3, 2023

Totally agree, I felt after my LTP especially the 6mth. recovery . the surgeons moved me over to the liver docs for my f/u’s and they basically did their part so u r in the hands of the next step to your recovery, I feel that sometimes they think well her liver enzymes r normal so all is ok. NOT, thanks to the immunosuppressants I am now in 3b ckd. So yes I understand. I struggle w/the water intake bc I get so bloated and full. I guess this is the rollercoaster ride we talk about. πŸ’ͺ😊 a lot in our discussions.

October 3, 2023
  • Kells22Transplant Patient

Hi!!!

I had my LTP in May off 2022. I am still sore and sensitive around the scars. I used to get terrible spasms on my right side that literally stopped me in my tracks. I may get a spasm now maybe 3 times a week. In my experience it does get better. After this surgery I am so so grateful to be here that the pain is just warrior scars making themselves known. Keep your head high and be proud and stay humble. I'm so glad you are doing well otherwise.

October 21, 2023

Hi Kells22, I am 3years LTP it just takes time to start getting stronger, you hang in there and we r here to support youπŸ’šπŸ˜Š

October 21, 2023
  • Kells22Transplant Patient

Melsamm,

Thank you! It's already better just having this website. Reading post from others that have been through it brings me a peace that talking to someone else just can't understand.

October 21, 2023
  • ShakeyjakeTransplant Patient

Same here with the Abdominal pain, Was at the V.A. for my 4 month check up and I said screw it I'm checking in because of the pain. After admitting me for 3 days and all kinds of tests cat scan, ultrasound, endoscopy, massive amounts of bloodwork. They found nothing. About 3 hours after they knocked me out for the endoscopy my pain went away. It came back a few days later, I think it may be a digestive issue, because the pain does have a bloating, diarrhea cramping style pain after I eat some things and it takes a couple of days to go away. Very uncomfortable and makes doing thing difficult.

January 12, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've heard of so many people that have had similar experiences to this. Does modifying your diet help? Their current hypothesis for me is that with the scar tissue adhesions and things in my intestines as a result of my transplant, certain foods get "stuck" and cause digestive issues, pain...

I'd thought of reducing things like dairy and gluten, but I ended up switching to a low residue, low fibre diet and that was the thing that really helped.

January 12, 2024

Shakeyjake, did they remove your gallbladder, I know I had major issues with that after my TP. I am 3 yrs. LTP still have digestive issues off/on but better.

January 12, 2024

Yes, changing my diet has helped. just narrowing it down on the tpes of food to eat. I am Lactose intolerant, and that might be a issue with cheese. Had a couple slices of pizza two days ago and am having some pain now.

January 12, 2024
  • ChasTransplant Patient

I had a liver transplant in 2014. I am now 75. The area was very tender for a few weeks with swelling. I have never experienced any pain or tenderness in this area since the first few weeks. I wish that I could offer more suggestions as to why so many recipients are experiencing pain. My labs remain within acceptable ranges. I take 0.5 Tacrolimus 2 x daily.

January 22, 2024

Chas congratulations on on 10 yrs. LTP I am 3 yrs. and cannot wait for the day that I will be on such a small dose of tacrolimus and off of celcept. So great to hear how good you r doing keep it up..πŸ’šπŸ’š

January 22, 2024
    January 22, 2024

Chas how often do you have labs now.

January 22, 2024
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

Congratulations Chas. I'm at 9 months Post LTP and my labs have been good virtually since my TP. I have had a lot of discomfort in ab area. I seems to get better almost daily. However, I am still really sensitive to the touch below my scar. I am 61 and look forward to a 10 yr celebration.

Hello all! I hope everyone is staying warm.

January 22, 2024
  • ChasTransplant Patient

I do labs every three months. Most lab are in normal range but some kidney levels are high. Need to drink more water. Annual visit with Doctor. Liver ultrasound annually. I received excellent care before and after surgery at Vanderbilt.

January 22, 2024

Chas, that is so exciting to know how well you are, it is something to look forward to. I have had issues w/kidney numbers I am told they r stable. 😊😊 thanks for sharing.

January 22, 2024

Hi Coach, I am so thrilled Happy that you r doing so well after 9months to. Keep it upπŸ˜ŠπŸ’š I hope the abd. discomfort gets better. I β€οΈπŸ’šβ€οΈ hearing all this good news from TP friends.

January 22, 2024
  • ChasTransplant Patient

For those LTP members that are having abdominal pain. Have you had a colonoscopy to check for Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis? Untreated this condition can cause abdominal pain. I have UC and take meds and have an annual colonoscopy. No discomfort.

January 22, 2024