Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Has anyone struggled with weight fluctuations?

meghansmithTransplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Liver

While I initially lost some weight post-transplant, I have since gained it back and more - I am currently 15 pounds above my pre-transplant weight. I'm still on prednisone and know that can cause some weight gain, as well as sugar cravings, which I've definitely suffered from. The "Covid 15" is probably to blame as well, as I tend to reach for snacks when I'm bored. Has anyone else seen changes in their weight post-transplant? What are some tips and tricks you've found to either avoid weight changes, or to get back to a healthy weight?

1 - 9 of 9 Other Answers

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I was never on prednisone so I did not have to cope w steroid weight or rage - but rather lost weight both times and tried hard to get it back - muscles more difficult than fat. I worked hard both times doing light exercise such as core fusion and walking - got me back to good shape and then I started kick boxing and got in great shape! Salmonella put an end to that and my pacemaker and autonomic dysfunction make it harder now to really push myself as before :-(

November 23, 2020
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

OH how I hated being on steroids. Medically induced weight gain really stinks! People do not realize it is not just weight you are gaining but you do loose a little of yourself in this. The weight takes longer to come off than it was to put on. As hard as it is remember that this is part of the process. Get your physical being adjusted then work on the mental being. Trust me if you do that you can then focus on training your body and losing what you need to be fit!

November 24, 2020
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I feel like i had the opposite problem as most people. i was on so many calories pre transplant to manage my condition that after transplant the weight fell off. once i started eating a normal amount, i lost so much weight the doctors thought i was starving myself. I've lost about 50 pounds in the 3 months since my transplant

November 25, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient
    November 25, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

Oh wow! Yes we are opposite - I was eating less pre-transplant because I never felt very well!

November 25, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

With kidney failure you cannot eat anything! I literally felt everything was off limits and add diabetes to the calculation and I was on starvation diet pre transplant @mikem - what about you??

November 29, 2020
  • mikemTransplant Patient

Indeed. I was super restricted on my diet. I guess I had to joke about it with friends to make it work.

December 2, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@mikem did you lose a lot of weight??

December 2, 2020
  • mikemTransplant Patient

Sure thing I have, it's a constant battle. I'm not on steroids now, but after each transplant I gained weight, except for the third one! The third one I had trouble in the beginning because I could barely keep down food because of one of the other drugs. The steroids impacted me differently after that one. For my first, I think my parents were just so happy that I was eating that they didn't care that I gained weight, nor did I!

December 3, 2020