Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

does anyone have experience with rejection?

VeggiePoweredTransplant Patient
Updated August 10, 2022 in Liver

I'm about a year and a half post liver transplant and unfortunately went into mild rejection about two weeks ago. spent last week in the hospital. my labs are improving for liver enzymes however my bilirubin is still very high. feels like pre-transplant with fatigue/ brain fog. concerned I will not recover ? anyone have any experience with this?

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@brookegurrad ?

I had mild rejection around the 1 year mark. It ended up being linked to my bile ducts, which I had a few surgeries to fix as well as them adjusting my meds. I remember being overwhelmed with it all and feeling like I was going to lose my liver. My team was very efficient in handling it, told me that wasn't necessarily the case and we wouldn't worry until we had to. They were right, and I'm almost a year out from that rejection incident with no further issues

August 10, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 thanks for tagging me. @VeggiePowered I am 17 years post liver transplant and have had at least 7 rejections. What you described sounds like what my mild rejections have felt like, and I’ve learned to clue into the signals of fatigue, migraine, and sometimes itching to go and get labs done and call my transplant team.

All of my rejection episodes have been treatable with IV steroids, IVIG, and dosage changes.

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. ❤️

August 11, 2022

1 - 7 of 7 Other Answers