General — TransplantLyfe

General

Dermatology appointments

meghansmithTransplant Patient
Updated May 27, 2021 in General

How often do you visit the dermatologist post-transplant? I know that skin cancer is a big concern while taking immunosuppressants. I just reached the 1 year mark and have my first appointment in a few weeks. Curious if this a yearly appointment or if anyone has had any skin cancer diagnoses / goes to the derm more often? What actions do you take to try to avoid getting skin cancer?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Morlie822Transplant Patient

I see my dermatologist every 4 months and call in between if I have a concern.

I've had a few cancers removed in 2 yrs post.

December 30, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@meghansmith I see my derm at least three times yearly - not during covid though :-(, to make sure nothing is looking odd. Thanks to this regular schedule I have had three cancers removed already, before they got too bad - it is definitely worth it!

December 30, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason you are so very right - do not "just" see a derm - see a medical derm or even better one w transplant experience. Most derms are focused on cosmetics and better at giving botox than they are at detecting cancers.

We are at 100 x higher risk for cancer of the skin that people without a transplant.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/organ-transplant-and-skin-cancer-risk#:~:text=Organ%20transplant%20patients%20are%20at,cell%20carcinoma%20and%20Kaposi%20sarcoma.

December 30, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@JimGleason such a good point! At Hopkins we are automatically referred to the transplant dermatology team - definitely important to see derms who are familiar with our unique situations!

December 31, 2020
  • MichaelGrahamHuffTransplant Patient

Wow, I did not realize most of this information. While I knew that dermatology appointments were necessary, I did not fully comprehend the odds we face. I went to my local dermatologist a few weeks ago. I had a popular form of Fungus on my chest that forms after exposure to the sun and sweat. Fortunately, It went away with a medicated shampoo.

I am a little anxious about the likelihood of cancer, but at least I know it can be treated if found early. Thank you everyone for sharing!

• Michael Huff
    January 2, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner

Karin, I am so glad you are "on this" so thoroughly...let's make sure we don't let Covid keep us from these important appointments. How are we managing this need to be vigilant with thorough skin checks through Covid? Any remote / telemedicine tools?

January 3, 2021