General — TransplantLyfe

General

How do you feel about organ donation/transplants depicted in tv/movies?

meghansmithTransplant Patient
March 2, 2021 in General

I've been seeing it as a plot more often recently and I feel very split about it - On one hand I'm glad to see the topic of organ donation getting attention, but at the same time I get very annoyed when the process is shown completely incorrectly or they feed into the common myths and misconceptions that we try so hard to break down. I know that Donate Life Hollywood is trying to get more movies and shows to consult on organ donation and transplantation, but I think there is definitely still a lot of work to be done to portray the process more accurately.

One of my "favorites" is a Hallmark movie where the main character wakes up from her liver transplant with a full face of makeup and perfect hair, and practically jumps out of bed 😂 - couldn't be further from reality!

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

Oh my goodness yes! Like my friends are in total shock when I tell them about how strenuous the process is for a transplant.

March 2, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I just rewatched all of Grey’s Anatomy during lockdown. Can’t believe how often transplants occur never have an actual transplant team or transplant surgeon. 🙄

March 2, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

One that is good actually is “last Christmas” w Emma Thompson and Emilia Clarke!!

March 2, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I feel this! Even though I did not have a transplant I understand this for both the cancer and mental health world. They are now looking for patients to help with scripts to get it right! That is something right?

March 2, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’ve only seen a few movies with transplant surgery but the one I saw was not even close to the duplicating the actual post operative experience. It could be ok to ease the fear for some but can also cause a person not to be prepared at all.

March 2, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This! Based on TV and movies I had no idea what my actual transplant would be like. I thought I’d wake up post transplant and be all there mentally, able to do basic tasks for myself, just be a little sore and have a badass scar. Which was so not the truth! I also thought transplant was surgery and done. Not so much after care. They don’t just do surgery and fix you. There are so many people involved, not just a regular general surgeon. And it isn’t even the same people that handle the donor and the recipient.

I love seeing illness and transplant in movies. Like 5 feet apart, I loved that they had G-tubes and their treatments were realistic. But (spoiler!) when she was so alert and aware of what was going on as soon as she woke up from her transplant, still on her vent, I watch that now and think that definitely wouldn’t happen

March 2, 2021